A Sparkle and a Smile

Sunday, October 11, 2015

Maybelline Called Out Makeup Shaming on Twitter and It Was Awesome

Hello Beautiful Ones!

So this is a post that has been floating around in my head for a few days and I can't not write it out. The other day I was mindlessly scrolling through Twitter (as one does) when a post caught my attention and made me scroll backwards. It was a tweet from the makeup brand Maybelline's official twitter account responding to a tweet they had been mentioned in:

www.twitter.com/Maybelline

The original tweet is from a Twitter user, who appears to be a male, and says: "Girls remember that if you're wearing the entire counter of @Maybelline, you can't claim to be all naturally #beautiful #lessismore #makeup"

Maybelline's response: "Oh yes they can sir. Our girls are #bornwithit beauties whether they wear makeup or not."

There are so many things I want to say about this I don't even know where to start. But let's try to break it down beginning with the original tweet. I appreciate the fact that there are people out there male or female who want women to know that they don't need to wear makeup to be beautiful. That is a completely true statement and one that I stand behind 100%. With that being said, the argument for natural beauty does not excuse makeup shaming. I am a feminist and to me feminism means to support equality for women and to encourage them to do whatever it is they want. Basically to me, feminism means not telling a woman that she can't do something simply because she is female. By telling a woman that she shouldn't wear makeup (no matter how good your intentions might be) you are telling her what to do. Instead of telling women that they should or should not wear makeup, why don't we just tell women (and everyone for that matter) to just do whatever the heck makes them happy. If that includes makeup awesome, if not that's also awesome. It is never right to shame someone for doing/wearing something that makes them feel positive and happy. 

That brings us to Maybelline's response. I was practically screaming at my computer as if Maybelline was my favorite Football team and I was watching them make a touchdown during the last seconds of the game. I think that their response was perfect. They expressed that women are beautiful makeup or no, without attacking the Tweeter who said otherwise. When you have a difference of opinion with someone I feel that it is so important to address it with as much understanding and patience as we can. Attacking someone back is not going to solve the problem, only escalate it. Here's how this interaction played out incase you were wondering:




You could argue that Maybelline just wants to sell more makeup and that certainly is their business (by the way, this post is 100% unsponsored), but at the end of the day I think they made a great point. Makeup shaming is something we should all be talking about and I appreciate the fact that they were willing to open up an honest dialogue about it on a very public forum. 

So what is my point here? Let's stop makeup shaming. Instead of telling each other what we should or should not be doing, let's just encourage each other to embrace the things that make us feel confident and happy. There is nothing more beautiful than someone who is genuinely happy. 

XO- Brittney

Pin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google Plus

No comments:

Post a Comment