A Sparkle and a Smile

Friday, March 6, 2015

Why I'm Choosing to Dance in the Rain

Hello Beautiful Ones!

This is not the post I was planning to write this week, but life is unpredictable which is arguably what makes it beautiful. This week I was faced with a shocking life change. I've been doing a lot of thinking over the last few days, so I thought I would share some of those thoughts with you.


I won't go into the gory details, but the basic gist is that the company I worked for sold the division that I worked in and the new company eliminated my position. I was completely dumbfounded. I've definitely been experiencing all of the emotions: shock, anger, sadness. There have been a lot of tears.

Needless to say I've had some unexpected downtime, and I started thinking about one of my all time favorite quotes: "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning how to dance in the rain..." -Vivian Greene. This quote has always spoken to me. But lately it has never felt more applicable. I walked out of my office building for the last time feeling hopeless.

I soon realized that  even though I was going through something terrible it didn't mean that I wouldn't be able to figure it out. Sometimes horrible situations can still be productive, even if it doesn't feel that way. I feel so bonded with another coworker who was also laid off. We've been calling each other every day with updates on our job searches. And you know what else? I realized how strong I am. As cheesy as it sounds you have to experience the lows to truly appreciate the highs.

We all have to deal with our own personal storms. I know there are a lot of people out there that are dealing with things much worse than losing their jobs (perspective is so important), but that doesn't mean it didn't hurt. I'm choosing to dance in the rain though. I let myself cry the first few days, but I didn't hesitate to start applying for new jobs. I think that's the point of the quote: you should acknowledge the storm, but you shouldn't let it stop you from doing what you want. I also took some time for myself. I took a bubble bath in the morning, wandered around the mall in the middle of the day, hung out in Starbucks for an afternoon. It felt good.

I know this post has been heavy, but there is a silver lining... I was offered another position today. I know Olivia Pope is choosing to stand in the sun (I am obsessed with the show Scandal, #teamJake), but sometimes dancing in the rain can feel so good.

I don't know what storms you're dealing with and I don't know how long they will last, but I hope that you choose to dance in the rain.

XO- Brittney
Pin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google Plus

No comments:

Post a Comment