A Sparkle and a Smile

Sunday, August 30, 2015

How to Get Out of That Beauty Rut

Hello Beautiful Ones!

As humans we are creatures of habit. It used to baffle me that even though most of my college classes had free seating plans (meaning you could sit wherever you wanted) my classmates and I would inevitably sit in the same seats every time. And if someone dared to sit in a different spot it threw everyone into a tissy (does anyone even say tissy anymore?! ). The point is, it's very easy to fall into a rut and the same goes for your beauty routine. Believe me, I definitely own infinite versions of the exact same coral pink nailpolish shade (oops!). So how can we expand our beauty regimens without going too far out of our comfort zones?


Lord knows I still haven't completely mastered the art of mixing up my beauty routine. Why mess with something if it works right? But the thing is that I wear makeup as a way of expression and because I like it (I strongly believe that you should only wear makeup if you want to, not because you feel that you need to wear it to please society), but if I'm wearing the same products or colors over and over it can get boring. Of course along with being creatures of habit we humans also tend to dislike change. So here are some of my tips for pushing yourself (gently) out of that beauty rut.

1.) Ease into it Slowly.
I know this one seems a little silly, but I'm serious. If you make a drastic change it is likely that your routine loving brain will reject it more strongly. So maybe just try one new thing in your daily routine. For example, you could use a dark brown mascara instead of black or pick a lip tint in the same shade as your normal gloss. Eventually you can work yourself up to trying and using other colors and products more often.

2.) Rotate through your products.
You know that super cute top that you forgot you even owned because it's living in the depths of your closet? Well the same thing can easily happen to your makeup. If you're like me then your organize your makeup and beauty products so that the ones that you use the most often are the most accessible. That makes sense, but it also makes it easier for you to use the same things over and over. So try every week (or whatever interval of time you want to use) to just change the placement of your products so the ones you use the least are at the front. You might find that the blush you completely dismissed and threw to the back of your drawer actually looks really lovely on you (And if it doesn't maybe it's time to clear it out). 

3.) Do a product swap.
Have a friend or family member that also has a stale beauty routine they'd like to shake up? That's perfect! Get together and swap some of those products you never use. Remember that old saying? One person's trash is another person's treasure. You probably have some things that you thought were going to look fabulous on you but just didn't. It might be perfect for your BFF though! My sister and I give each other dibs when we're cleaning out our makeup collections. So much better than throwing it out. You could even make a party out of it (any excuse for a party is a good one)! Of course you should avoid swapping certain products like mascara that shouldn't be shared!

4.) Crack out those samples.
If you are like me then you have a pile of free makeup and beauty samples that have been tossed to the side because it wasn't as convenient as using your full sized products (I'm lazy ok?). But some of those samples could actually be a holy grail waiting to be discovered. Makeup brands and stores will typically give you samples of their pricier products in an effort to entice you to buy the full sizes. So often you're getting something pretty great. If you shop at Sephora at all I would suggest enrolling in their Beauty Insider program. It's free and you can always get an extra free deluxe sample with any $25 purchase online (just be sure to check out the weekly specials section on their website). Plus, you get a reward point for every dollar you spend and you can save up your points for extra rewards.

Well there you go. My tips for breaking out of the dreaded beauty rut. I'd love to hear your own tips if you have them! We can help each other stay fresh and new (giggle)!

XO- Brittney
Pin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google Plus

No comments:

Post a Comment