A Sparkle and a Smile

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

The Art of Being a Grown-up

Hello Beautiful Ones!

I'm currently dealing with the hard reality that I am now a grown-up! Wait... when did that happen?! This last weekend I graduated from college (I'm officially the brand new owner of a very expensive diploma!), and now I have to figure out what I'm going to do with my life. That's easy, right?! It feels like I just blinked and then all of a sudden I'm expected to make grown-up decisions.

Here is my obligatory graduation picture:


I recently ran across a quote on Pinterest that really struck me: "it takes courage to grow up and become who you really are" -E. E. Cummings. I think the reason why this quote was so striking to me was because I've realized lately that I don't really know what being a grown-up means. The first thing that comes to mind when I hear the word grown-up is... boring. I know, I know there are plenty of grown-ups out there that are anything but boring. But, I think in a way that is sort of the stereotype. In our society it is assumed that you should have as much fun as you can during your college years, because after that you'll be stuck with the boring and mundane task of being a grown-up.

What I love about this E. E. Cummings quote is that it reminds me that I get to decide what being a grown-up means to me. Of course, as the quote suggests being the kind of grown-up I want to be is not going to be easy. The world is going to want to label me and put me into a neat little box, it will take courage to break out of the mold and be the kind of grown-up that makes me happy. That's really the goal I want to reach: to find my "happy."

I feel so lucky that I have been blessed with an amazing support system of people in my life who support my decision to find my "happy." And to be honest, I'm still trying to figure out what exactly that "happy" is! I know that being a grown-up isn't always going to be a picnic, but I'm going to do my best to make it sparkle! :)

I know this post was pretty heavy on the life today, but come back later this week for an Argan Oil review (spoiler alert: I'm obsessed).

XO- Brittney

P.S. You can find me on Twitter!



Pin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google Plus

No comments:

Post a Comment