A Sparkle and a Smile

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

September Favorites!

Hello Beautiful Ones!

Whoah... am I actually writing my favorite things post for September IN the month of September?! Somebody hold me back! I'm slowly but surely adjusting to fall. The colder weather is definitely not my favorite but the cardigans, boots, and chai lattes are winning me over. This month my favorites consist of some loved beauty products and a few miscellaneous entertainment bits.


Beauty Favorites

This product is the hip older sister of the original Naked Basics Palette (I can confidently say that as a hip older sister myself #humblebrag). Confession: I've never actually owned the original palette, but I have stolen it from my before mentioned sister several times. I've been really enjoying this new one. The colors lean to the cooler side and with more grey tones than the first one. I would say that if you are in desperate need of a hardcore basics palette (with more browns and a black) then you should probably grab the original, but otherwise this is just a really nice palette to have in your arsenal. As with most Urban Decay palettes the quality of the shadows is fantastic. Here are some more pictures of the shadows and some swatches.



It seems like just about everyone is crazy about argan oil these days (I'm definitely a convert myself). I was a little reluctant of this trend at first because it seemed super counterproductive to me to put oil on either my face or my hair, but I have to tell that I've seen the light! So I was excited when I saw this new offering from the Body Shop. I've used this both on my hair and on my skin. My favorite uses for it are to tame frizz and flyaways on my hair, and to calm my skin after shaving. Also, I love that it comes in a spray bottle because it makes application a breeze. 


You can find my full review and swatch of this product here. But, the basic jist of this blush is that it can be used either on it's own or as a booster underneath your favorite powder blush to add an extra "pep" to your makeup routine (hence the adorable marching band theme of the packaging). The highlights of this blush are that it goes on creamy and then takes on a powder consistency, lasts well, and has a delightful scent. I know a lot of people have been concerned about the coral color of this blush, but I personally find it extremely flattering (however, this is a color I often gravitate towards). 


I recently received this as a free sample after purchasing some other clinique products and I have to tell you that I'm in love! This is a fantastic moisturizer especially if you are plagued with dry skin. I use it every morning before I put on my makeup. The only con here is that it does smell a little weird while it's still in the pot, but I don't notice it once I apply it to my face.


This is a product I've had sitting in my makeup collection unused for awhile. I've only recently rediscovered it. This is a deluxe sample size in the shade Shortcake that I got in a Sephora value set that you can check out here. I love that it's long lasting and such a pretty shade. This is a gorgeous nude gloss that is perfect for fall. 


Miscellaneous Favorites
Music

Pentatonix is a five person acapella group that first gained fame for winning season 3 of NBC's singing competition show the Sing Off. They also have a massive Youtube following. I always adore their new album offerings and this one is no exception. It's a great mix of acapella covers and originals. One of my favorite tracks is a mashup of Sam Smith's Latch and La  La La which they have accurately named La La Latch. Even if you're aren't a major acapella fan I still encourage you to give this one a listen! You can download it on iTunes for $5.99 or grab the physical copy at Walmart for just $5.

This is a single that I have been completely obsessed with lately. The lyrics are smart and the beat is amazing. Prepare to have this one stuck in your head ALL DAY. 

T.V.

It's the time of the year for new and returning fall shows or as I like to call it: the season of endless new episodes clogging up my DVR. Instead of boring you with my endless list of shows I'm watching I'm just going to give you my two new favorites and two old standbys. 

Warning: there may be slight spoilers ahead (don't say I didn't warn you). 

This is arguably Fall's most buzzed about new show and I'm here to tell you that the hype is real. This is the latest offering from powerhouse Shonda Rhimes. I mean obviously this is Shondaland and we're all just living in it. The show follows law professor Annalise Keating (Viola Davis) and her students, who will do crazy things to get her approval (hint: that includes murder). 

This is genuinely one of the cutest shows I have ever seen. There is so much heart here it is amazing. The show follows nurse Jackson (Octavia Spencer) and all of the kids she tends to on her floor at the Ocean Park Hospital in Los Angeles. It has a little bit of a Glee vibe (a group of misfits coming together to support each other). I promise you that you will laugh, cry, and generally be filled to the brim with emotions.

Scandal- ABC
If you aren't on the Scandal bandwagon yet then you need to seriously reevaluate your life choices (I say that with love). This is yet another Shonda Rhimes thriller that is in it's 4th season and it just KEEPS GETTING BETTER. Just about every episode leaves me screaming at the television. Seriously, you probably don't want to watch T.V. with me. 

I swear that Fox and ABC aren't the only networks that I watch, it just turned out this way. I just have so much love in my heart for this comedy. It follows Detective Jake Peralta (Andy Samburg) and his colleagues in Brooklyn's 99th precinct. This show had me hooked at the pilot and nothing has changed now that it's started it's second season. You should definitely binge watch if you need a good laugh or a new comedy. 

There you have it: all of the things I've been loving this month! Let me know what you've been obsessing over in the comments.

XO- Brittney

P.S. Here's a bonus picture of my cat Smokey trying to figure out why I'm taking pictures of my makeup on my kitchen floor (do you ever wonder if your pets are planning to commit you for mental instability or is that just me?). x


Pin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google Plus

No comments:

Post a Comment