A Sparkle and a Smile

Thursday, July 3, 2014

Why I Love Makeup

Hello Beautiful Ones!

This one is a little different today, but it's something I just couldn't get out of my head so now you have the pleasure of experiencing my inner-most thoughts (lucky you!). As someone who spends a lot of time both writing about and applying makeup it's very easy for me to get a little caught up in all the sparkle. What I mean by that is being too concerned about the vanity of it all. With that being said though, I think it's extremely important to take a step back and examine why we are wearing the make-up (that's my psychology brain coming out). All of these thoughts were stirred up by a video I watched from the crazy genius John Green. In case you didn't know John is the author of several books including this summer's blockbuster: The Fault in our Stars, but he also has a Youtube channel he shares with his brother Hank called Vlogbrothers (confession: I'm a Youtube junkie and a Nerdfighter).

John's video is titled "Why I Love Make-up." In the video he discusses how he wore a lot of makeup during his press tour for The Fault in our Stars and how during that time he realized something: that he loves wearing makeup. He said that he "loves the way he looks" when he wears it. He also discussed how he used to be one of those people who said "you don't need makeup to be beautiful" but after wearing makeup himself he realized that makeup can be about making you feel good not making yourself desirable to others.

For some reason this really struck me. It made me step back and think: "why do I love makeup." I mean clearly love is not too strong of a word when it comes to makeup because after all I do have an entire blog dedicated to all things sparkly but I had never taken the time to answer why. So before I bore all of you with my crazy ramblings I'm just going to give you my list of reasons why I love makeup:
  1. This one might be weird but I'm a sucker for routine. Getting up in the morning and applying my makeup makes me feel like I'm ready to take on the day.
  2. I'm going to steal one of John's main points and say that makeup just makes me feel good. I like how I look when I wear it.
  3. I can match my makeup to my mood. Some days are sparkly shadow days and some days are thick eyeliner days.
  4. There's a never ending supply of new makeup to try. I love variety what can I say?
  5. Makeup allows me to enhance my favorite features like my eyes. Not change them, just make them stand out.
I'm sure there are probably more things I love about makeup but these are the ones that are currently floating around in my head. I would encourage all of you to think about why you love makeup too! And please check out John's brilliant video below:
http://youtu.be/ijG6Tc431hQ

I hope you didn't mind this rambly mess too much, and that you all have a wonderfully sparkly 4th of July!

XO- Brittney


Pin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google Plus

No comments:

Post a Comment