A Sparkle and a Smile

Thursday, June 26, 2014

How To: Handle a Sunburn

Hello Beautiful Ones!

In case you haven't noticed, the sun is hot out there! I just recently went on a trip to Colorado where I spent some very relaxing time in the cool mountain air (heaven!). Unfortunately though, I forgot to apply sunscreen when I went hiking. The result was that I looked like a very tired and very red tomato! To make matters worse I had to go to a wedding the day after I returned from my trip (YIKES)!

It's always important that you apply sunscreen when you're going to be outside for long periods of time, but just incase you find yourself in the same predicament I found myself in I thought I would give you some of my tips on how to handle a pesky sunburn on your face! Here is my tool kit:


First, you're going to want a cooling gel that you can apply to the burn to reduce some of the stinging and redness. We all know that sunburns can be very painful so your first priority is to make yourself as comfortable as possible. You'll want to make sure you get a gel that contains Aloe Vera. I had to desperately buy one in a gift shop in Colorado, but it did the trick! I used Sun Bum Cool Down, but you can use any kind of aloe gel you want.

Once, you've calmed down your skin a little I would suggest that you moisturize, moisturize, moisturize (seriously!). But no matter what, if you're burned bad enough your skin is probably going to peel. That's where I found myself the day before the wedding. So I just took a dry washcloth (you can also use a damp one if you prefer) and I gently scrubbed off the dry and peeling skin. It's kind of like a really gentle exfoliating treatment. You could also try a very gentle and hydrating scrub but I would try to avoid anything too gritty or abrasive so that you don't irritate your skin. I did this the night before I was going to be applying the makeup.

Now that you've handled the peeling you're still going to be red. I would suggest using a really good primer that's going to help you combat that red and make it easier to cover up with your makeup. I used Clinique's Superprimer Color Corrects Redness. I've raved about this one before, but I just really like using it for covering up blemishes or red patches. After your primer you are good to apply your foundation like usual. After I put on my foundation I still had a little bit of red poking through so I reached for a product I had gotten in a Benefit try it box I had bought at Sephora: Benefit Some Kind of Gorgeous Foundation Faker. You can use this alone or with your foundation for a little extra coverage. I had bought the Benefit sample box for other products, but so far this one has come in pretty handy, I'm thinking that I might have to buy myself a full sized one when it runs out! It goes on really smoothly and then acts like a light powder once it's on your face. So cool!

I hope these little tips helped you out. Hopefully next time we'll all learn our lessons and apply the sunscreen in the first place!

XO- Brittney


Pin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google Plus

No comments:

Post a Comment